This recipe is easy to make using leftover chicken. Feel free to substitute cooked ground beef or chopped steak.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken, cooked, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 16 ounces salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of salt
- 6 − 10 inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup refried beans
- Olive oil (for basting)
- Sour Cream
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
Stir in chili powder, salsa, and cumin.
Stir in shredded chicken. Let cool.
- Grease rimmed 15 x 10 x 1 baking pan.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, spoon a heaping tablespoon of beans down center of each tortilla.
- Top with a scant 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture.
- Fold up the bottom, top and sides of tortilla; secure with wooden toothpicks if necessary.
- Place chimichangas in greased baking pan, seam side down. Brush all sides with the oil.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, turning every 5 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole.