- 1 pound of pinto beans
- 1/2 cup bacon drippings
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cups warm water
- Wash beans thoroughly in cold water and drain.
- Add lukewarm water and salt.
- Cook in a deep pot for about 2 hors or until the beans are tender.
- Stir frequently.
- In a large skillet, heat the bacon drippings over medium high heat.
- Drain the beans, reserving the liquid.
- Add one large spoonful of cooked beans to the hit oil and mash down.
- Add a teaspoon of the reserved pot liquid and stir.
- Repeat until all the beans are mashed.
- Add liquid as needed until you get the right thickness.